Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I'm in Pili Now! April 13,2015

I'm back in Camarines Sur. We are in the Capital. We are about twenty minutes east (I think ) of Naga. We have a ward here too, so that should be a nice change of pace from Basud. It is nice to have our own chapel. The area is really close to Isarog which is pretty cool too. I will have to get some pics. My new companion's name is Elder Tiongco. He is from Davao, one of the biggest cities in the Philippines. He is really nice.

The work seems like it is going pretty well. We have at least four baptisms lined up for April 18th. Pretty sweet. I'm excited to start finding like crazy.

The other night after our planning, I don't know why, but I just started singing hymns by myself at my desk. The first hymn I opened to really struck me. It was number 165, "Abide with me, 'tis eventide". The lyrics really comforted me. It just reminded me that I'm never alone even though I am all the way here in the Philippines in a new place with new people around me.

1. Abide with me; 'tis eventide.
The day is past and gone;
The shadows of the evening fall;
The night is coming on.
Within my heart a welcome guest,
Within my home abide.

[Chorus]
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, 'tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, 'tis eventide.

2. Abide with me; 'tis eventide.
Thy walk today with me
Has made my heart within me burn,
As I communed with thee.
Thy earnest words have filled my soul
And kept me near thy side.

3. Abide with me; 'tis eventide,
And lone will be the night
If I cannot commune with thee
Nor find in thee my light.
The darkness of the world, I fear,
Would in my home abide.

I thought a lot about the second verse and about how God's "earnest words have filled my soul and kept me near [His] side" during general conference. I felt so comforted to know that I'm not alone.

I just have one short thing to say about what I liked from general conference. I really liked "The Music of the Gospel" by Wilford W. Andersen. I really feel like there have been times in my life where I've been just dancing without hearing the music. I don't really know how to explain it, but I just felt like this talk was so profound. We really need to follow the commandments and fulfill all of our responsibilities not just because it is our responsibility, but because we love our Heavenly Father or because of who we are. It was really wonderful to me.

That's all for now. I hope you all have an awesome week.

I love you tons!

Elder Merrill
 Ben's new district in Pili

No comments:

Post a Comment