Tuesday, August 5, 2014

8/3/2014 19 Na Ako!

Family,

I can't believe it's already been a whole year since I turned 18... I still don't feel like I am 19 years old yet... It's crazy to think about where I would be right now if they hadn't changed the mission age. I'm really glad that I decided to serve my mission at 18 and I know that I have definitely grown immensely this past year. It really is neat to look back at the past year and really see how much I've grown and learned. I have learned a lot. On a less spiritual side, I will tell you what we did for my birthday. We went to Bigg's for lunch and Elder Seegmiller told them it was my birthday just to be funny, and they actually ended up coming and singing to me... It was alright because I got a free cake (like a small one) out of it and it was super delicious. For dinner, I made spaghetti for everyone, but ended up putting way too much salt in it... It was not good... Everyone tried to be really nice about it but it was really bad... It was a really fun birthday though. I actually spent a long time that day showing/ telling my new companion, Elder Green about the area.

Elder Green is from West Jordan, Utah, and has been out for about 13 months now. He is really nice and it turns out that we have a lot in common. Our fathers both served missions in Korea, and we both played baseball (though I am sure he is way better than me at it), and we both really liked reading books back in the day (Harry Potter, etc.) One of my favorite things that we have in common is that we both really want to find a lot of new investigators. I am pretty excited to have Elder Green here to go finding with because we have actually seen some really good results as far as finding goes so far this transfer. 

We have found one family that seems like it has a lot of potential. The father of the family is actually a less active member and has three kids, ages 17 - 20, and only one of them has been baptized.  They said that we can come back and teach them, so we are really excited for that. We talked to quite a few others too that weren't too interested, but we are really excited, because baptizing Tatay's children could be a perfect way to bring him back to the church, and the family really seems super friendly. 

More good news, we had three investigators come to church! It was awesome. We are on track to baptize someone on the 16th of August, and two others shouldn't be too far behind. Maybe I will tell you a little about another person we met.  He is a very interesting person because he is 16 years old and lives with his siblings and grandmother. It sounds like he has somewhat of a tough family situation. He is really a nice person though, and really is interested in finding the truth. He actually told us the last time we visited him about how his aunt is trying to get him interested in Islam. We told him just to pray about the Book of Mormon and come to church and that he would get his answer.  We were so happy to finally see him at church this week. He doesn't really have a testimony for sure yet, but he earnestly desires to find out for himself what his true. I really admire him, and I know that he will receive an answer to his prayers as he continues to earnestly seek for the truth.  

I love you all tons and I know that the Gospel is true!

Elder Benjamin Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment